What has James Murdoch achieved today?

Well... I like him even less than I did yesterday, which is saying something.

I've never made much of a secret of the fact that I dislike News International. The organisation has far too much influence for my liking - although a good point has been made on this evening's news: that the influence is probably more in the minds of the politicians than anything else - did everyone who reads the Sun vote Tory last year? Doubt it. Regardless, the politicians in their infinite wisdom, curry favour with the Murdochs and no doubt BSkyB was a sweetner for News International's support of the Tories last May.

On to the News of the World. My initial response on hearing about its imminent closure was one of satisfaction. A deserved kick in the eye for News International given the appalling revelations that have come to light. However, when you sit back and think about it, that act has done nothing towards atoning for the wrongdoings of the past. The editorial team currently at the News of the World have been the ones to turn the paper around and their reward appears to be the sack. I feel for those guys and gals, I really do.

So something strange has happened tonight, I find myself in the peculiar situation of agreeing with Ed Miliband:

"lots of people are losing their jobs today but one of the people who's remaining in her job is the chief executive of News International who was the editor at the time"

Yep, can't argue with that,

"I'm interested in those who were responsible being brought to justice."

Me too Eddie, me too.

But James Murdoch is perfectly happy with Rebekah Brooks and she looks set to stay in post. It remains to be seen who actually takes the fall for the apparent endemic hacking, bribery and corruption. It won't be Murdoch, that's for sure.

And finally: it appears that we will now have to stomach 7 editions of the Sun each week rather than 5. God help us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games