Kit: Amazon Fire TV (initial thoughts)

Over the years, I have used a Netgear EVA8000 and a Raspberry Pi Model B running XBMC to get digital content to my TV, mainly from a NAS box but also from the internet.

However, when Amazon sent me an offer for £30 off their new Amazon Fire TV if I pre-ordered, I couldn't really say no: I'm already a Prime customer and it was time for a new gadget.

After a wait of a few weeks, release day arrived and so did my device. It is a tiny thing and, because the remote control is not line-of-sight, you can hide it away in a cupboard should you prefer the minimalist look. It is very straightforward to use and the voice search feature works a treat.

I did have a bit of a problem getting the thing to link to my Amazon account. It was listed on my account page, but the box itself didn't want to log in. A quick chat on the phone with a member of Amazon's support team sorted that out though. Really excellent service.

If you have Prime membership, there is a lot of content for you to watch, otherwise you will by renting / buying films and TV programmes. But be aware that Prime membership doesn't include every TV show and every film, so don't expect everything to be available.

It's early days, but I'm liking it so far. I'm not convinced that the box is worth £79, especially when you are either paying £79 a year for Prime or DVD prices to buy content (renting seems to be around the £2.50+ mark).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games