How to steal a moped...

(or motorbike for that matter) and get away with it.

Just read an interesting article on the BBC website.

Apparently some theives made off with this young chap's moped. The police refused to make chase because the theives weren't wearing helmets. The logic being that if there was an accident and the thieves injured themselves, they'd sue the police.

So it would seem the more laws you break the more likely you are to get away with it. If I went out on my motorbike without a helmet on I'd quite rightly get stopped. If I went out and pinched a bike but foolishly wore my helmet, I'd get arrested. Break both laws however, and I'd be fine.

Personally, if there is an accident and the theives get mashed up a bit, I don't much care. Involving innocent bystanders is a different matter of course, but just to let people go for fear of being sued is ridiculous.

Firstly, it's just another example of the law abiding types getting no useful support from the police and secondly, the very fact that the police think that a suit against them may actually make it as far as the courts shows a huge problem with the legal system in this country.

Makes you wonder why you bother sticking to the laws of the land, it costs you a bloody fortune.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games