Film: Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter And Spring

Slow paced Korean number, this one. Atmospheric and very scenic. It follows the life of a man, from childhood to middle age, as he lives and studies with his Buddhist master on a floating temple. It shows how his life goes awry after a young woman arrives and how he gets back on the straight and narrow.

As with all excellent films this has a bit of everything including some very Asian humour - retrieving a stray boat by the use of a chicken, and writing calligraphy using a cat - and, of course, a dose of tragedy. Nicely illustrates how life has a habit of repeating itself as hinted at in the title.

So, Korean cinema isn't always action and horror. This is a film well worth seeing if you fancy something a little slower.

Comments

Unknown said…
I've been intending to get into some Korean films but haven't done so yet. I almost ordered Cello because that sounded interesting according to DVD Times but maybe this would be a better option for me. I like slow burners.

Can you believe I've never seen a Korean film?!
Dave Miller said…
No, I can't!! You're missing out. Now, I'm no expert on Korean film by any means, but I'd certainly recommend Into The Mirror, a very interesting take on a ghost/horror story, and Oldboy is worth a watch.
If you want something totally barmy then try Save The Green Planet: you will be wondering what the hell...

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games