Film roundup 3

Once again I've left it far too long, so this roundup is going to be of the did/did not like form, with very little useful information. Sorry about that. Ok, here we go:

Ella Enchanted
This is a film for kids, and girls at that. I really have no idea why I even thought about watching it. Anyway, the stop button was applied within 5 minutes.

Leon
Masterful. I absolutely loved this film. Well written, acted and directed.

Elling
The story of a couple of Norwegian guys who meet when living in a state institution. When they are released into the outside world they choose to life together and have to find their feet. A very worthwhile watch.

Team America World Police
Absolutely brilliant. It is, in parts, hilarious but obviously the main deal with this film is how it represents American foreign policy and attitudes. It is done so well it makes you cringe.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Sadly I can't remember the details but I remember enjoying it a great deal. Slightly bizzare as you'd expect from Charlie Kaufman with great performances from Kate and Jim. I think I'll watch this one again.

War (Война)
Russian film about Chechnya. Some crap acting (particularly from the English guy who plays John) but intetresting to a point.

Tale of Two Sisters
I'm a big fan of Korean film, and this was a good one - I think I just got a bit lost along the way somewhere. Weird.

Reservoir Dogs
I know this may sound a bit odd, but I'd never actually seen this film. I still haven't seen it as I got bored after 10 minutes or so and switched it off. Perhaps I'm just passed the Tarantino stage now.

Le Château de ma Mère
A great French film, with some top moments of humour. Honestly.

Lady Vengeance
Probably needs another watch to get to the bottom of it. A pattern is emerging here... I get confused by Korean films!

Stormbreaker
It was ok I suppose - a James Bond for kids. Chris has already mentioned the product placement side of things in his review so I won't cover that here. It was ok I suppose, nothing startling and certainly devoid of any really outstanding moments.

Airheads
I'd heard good thing about this film, so was initially disappointed. However, after a slow start it turned into one of those entertaining, slightly bonkers movies with some classic comedy moments.

Cidade de Deus (City of God)
Pacey, flowing, well scripted, etc., etc. An exceptional film showing the harsh realities of life on the wrong side of the bread line, and how people cope (if that's the right word) and manage to eke out some kind of existence.

Hotel Rwanda
This was the first film I put on my LoveFilm wishlist when I joined in September 2005. The fact that it took a year for the ting to arrive shows the popularity of this film. It is well deserved too. This is a fantastic film covering a tragic period in Rwanda's recent history. Bleak and depressing, it shows the UN and western world in very bad light and really makes you question those who lead. At least it should. I wonder what the outcome would have been if Rwanda was rich in oil.

Turtles Can Fly
A film set in Kurdish Iraq just before the start of the 2003 invasion. It is a good film, and the performances from the mainly teenage and younger cast is grand. But it just didn't do it for me. Don't know why - just one of those things I guess.

Comments

Unknown said…
Surely your rental of Ella Enchanted must in some way be linked to a terrific story about the dangers of alcohol?
Dave Miller said…
You'd think, wouldn't you. I have no excuse: the phrase 'senior moment' doesn't even cover it.

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games