Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Snappy title, eh?

I have one of these snazzy bits of kit plugged in to my PC for recording stuff in Presonus Studio One. It started to misbehave when I upgraded to Windows 10. There seems to be quite a few people around having some issues with the FireWire cards or the Saffire Mix Control software so when my setup started to act up, I hit the forums.

The issue I was seeing was that Saffire Mix Control wouldn't open. The first thing I did was replace my FireWire card for one with a Texas Instruments chipset (TI TSB43AB22A) which seemed to fix things initially. But didn't. So it is possible that the original FireWire card (with VIA Fire VT6315 chipset) would be fine. I just can't be bothered to swap it back into the computer.

The solution for me was to get Saffire Mix Control running in compatibility mode. I used the compatibility troubleshooter and the Windows 7 setting seems to work fine,

Another issue that has shown itself is that I stopped getting sound out of the audio interface. I couldn't get any headphone routing settings to work: the Mix Control software was happily showing me signal, but nothing was getting into my cans. I have no idea why, but changing the Windows playback device to the Saffire and back to the PC sound card seemed to free up whatever had got stuck. But only once. Odd. It seems that you really need to turn the Saffire on before you boot up the PC, it doesn't seem to like being turned off and back on again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games