Film: Harry Potter GOF

It's now a little over 24 hours since I went to see the fourth film installment of the Harry Potter franchise. I came out of the film with a curious mix of feelings. Yes, I enjoyed it - the visuals were fabulous and the screenplay successfully reduced a substantial book down to two and a half hours. But there were niggles, although I couldn't quite put my finger on them as my companion for the evening will testify. I hate that!

I think on reflection two things took the shine off. The lack of focus of the film was one - I never felt drawn towards the conclusion. Perhaps that's a reflection on the book. Secondly, the teenage angst. I know, I know, it's a big part of the story but it didn't quite play right for me. I think I want to see it again though. In summary: I'm torn between this and Prisoner of Azkhaban as my favourite Potter film.

Final thoughts; the film was beautifully directed by Mike Newell and the effects were cracking, particularly the world cup and the scrap with the dragon. Perhaps I was just in one of those moods where little inconsequential things narked me. A sure sign of the onset of age... :)

Comments

Unknown said…
I loved it, as I've said elsewhere. It's good entertainment and the book could never be translated directly so why bother? The teenage anst is even more full-on in the book...

I think my main concern is that they've done a Shelob with end of term. Harry is supposed to spend the summer worrying about why Fudge wouldn't believe Dumbledore and what have Hagrid, Snape and the others been sent to do? There was none of that in the film. I'm hoping they've really "done a Shelob" and it will prove the right choice to move it in to the next film. Surely they haven't dropped it?

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games