Who do I think I am...

This isn't in response to some cocky event over the the past week. More a witty twist on the BBC2 series on tracing your family tree. Why, you may wonder. Well, I've been tracing my family history for a little while now, so I thought I may share a little of my findings.

So, I've got back as far as my great-great-great-great grandfather. Don't know very much about him as he never had the decency to be in on census night. He was married in 1822, was a master mariner and had 8 kids - so he must have been home some nights! He lived in South Shields (can't believe I have Sanddancer roots!!! Most distressing)

There are funny little coincidences here and there - my dad has worked for a rope manufacturer for 30-odd years, never knowing that his great-great-grandfather made them. Also, in the 1901 census my great-great-grandfather and his future wife were living next door to each other. Quite sweet really.

Here's my male line so far:

David James Miller - Software engineer (b1972)
David Miller - Office manager (b1944, m1970)
William Joseph Miller (b1918, m1940, d1988)
William Joseph Miller - Pawnbroker (b1877, m1902, d1957)
William Miller - Wire rope drawer (b1852, m1876, d?)
William Miller - Tallow chandler (b1825, m1851, d?)
William Miller - Master mariner (b?, m1822, d?)

Comments

Anonymous said…
A Master Mariner from South Shields - I always thought that you were a man of good breeding. If it's any consolation, the term SandDancer came in a lot later.
Nigel said…
I've got 9 kids so far for our Master Mariner and shared ancestor. In order:
Jane
William
James Hedley
George
John
Margaret Ann
Mary
Charles
Elizabeth

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games