New car time

I've harped on about this in the past, but the time is rapidly approaching when the Jimny must go and something must replace it. Now, I've thought about all sorts of possibilities, from cheap run-arounds to executive saloons. Latest thinking however, is for another 4x4 - boo hiss from the green brigade, but I like the high seating position.

So, I started making a shortlist. The Freelander is out straightaway because it's too expensive, I don't like the look of the X-Trail from Nissan, and I'm not sure why I'm not considering the CRV or Rav4. The Suzuki Grand Vitara is on there, because it looks smart. Others that sneaked on the list over the weekend were the Hyundai Tucson and the Kia Sportage. That's the 3 for now, although very much subject to change of course!

First thing you need to do is get yourself a big pile of brochures, and this is where you start to score the competing companies. So far we can sum up performance thus:

Suzuki GV 5dr: a smart looking car and quite comfy (no scuffing shoes when changing gear like in the Ford Focus I tried at the weekend) and the 5dr doesn't have Suzuki's ridiculous rear seat access 'system'. Plus, the dealer has been perfectly adequate over the last 3 years. However, the guy I spoke to on Sunday couldn't really be bothered - a point dropped there I think.

Hyundai Tucson: I haven't sat in one of these yet, but I ordered a brochure on Monday night which arrived today. Or rather, I ordered brochures for the Tucson and the Coupe III, and I actually received a price list and some information on the 5 year warranty. Not a good start. Another negative, the trip computer gives fuel consumption figures in miles per US gallon which is no use in the UK.

Kia Sportage: again, I haven't sat in one of these, but at least I got the brochures I requested from the website and in the same amount of time as Hyundai. So Kia takes an early lead simply by doing what I asked.

Next stop is to visit the local Kia and Hyundai dealers to suss them out, and then I suppose I'd better have a drive. And maybe add to the list...

References:
Suzuki Cars
KIA Sportage
Hyundai Tucson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games