Film: Memoirs of a Geisha

I'll chop this one into two parts: childhood and the rest.

The editing in the early stages of the film felt choppy, leaving me at a loss as to what was going on. Although Suzuka Ohgo did a great job of portraying the young Chiyo.

Once we move a few years forward, Zhang Ziyi and Michelle Yeoh put in fine performances as you would expect, and Li Gong played a convincingly bitchy Hatsumomo.

The scene setting was fine, interior sets and town scenes looked bang on. Ultimately, I suppose, I just never really got round to caring that much about the characters. Whether that was down to the material they were working with or poor direction I'm not so sure. Perhaps an original screenplay would have worked better?

It's a shame, I'd been looking forward to this one. But hey, don't take my word for it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Focusrite Saffire PRO 24 DSP and Windows 10

Installing Chromium OS on a Dell Mini 9

Commonwealth Games